i would think it was pretty good.
one friend (FM) picked this as her no 1 dish. another (LCH) commented the bittergourd had zero bitter taste (which FM didn’t mind).
i agreed. for me also i think some bitter taste would be better. basically i cleaned, soaked in water for 1 day in the fridge, changed water many times. will do less next time.
i felt the salted egg flavours did not come out enough though. maybe the salted egg i used wasn’t a very good one.
but my version is getting close, though may never quite reach that standard…
i did not add any fish sauce because of the salted egg, but after tasting, i added some oyster sauce. maybe i will add more oyster sauce next time.
- 1 medium bittergourd juliened
- 1 whole salted egg, boiled & chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 3 eggs
- 1 chili padi
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- julien 1 medium bittergourd. wash with salt & soak in water. change water several times.
- fry 1 cut chili padi & tbsp chopped garlic in 1tbsp oil. add the juliened bittergourd. add 1 chopped salted egg.
- over high fire, crack 2 eggs & allow the egg to cook before breaking up & mixing with the bittergourd. taste the dish & add some oyster sauce if required.