did a dakgalbi 닭갈비 fried chicken with gochujang for teban gardens community breakfast this morning on 25.11.2016. ^^
this my 23rd friday breakfast community meal at teban gardens community service centre.
i first started doing a community meal dish for teban gardens CSC on 8.1.2016.
the centre was started in 2002 after much effort & challenge by our RI friend who is a pastor of pasir panjang hill brethren church (pphbc) which owns & runs the CSC.
we had dakgalbi 닭갈비 fried chicken with gochujang at mr dakgalbi in chuncheon 春川after our visit to the awesome autumn colours of nami island 남이선南怡岛.
this dish not so different from the korean grilled belly pork with gochujang i did for teban gardens last friday on 18.11.2016.
for chicken, i debone 2 chickens the night before. that took about 35mins.
in the morning i got up at 6.40am & marinated the chicken – 2 heap tbsp gochujang, 4 tsp chopped garlic, 3cm chopped ginger.
then i let it sit about 1 hr.
menawhile i cut 1 cabbage (1kg). fried garlic & ginger till fragrant & added cabbage.
fried a while, added 2 tbsp flat oyster sauce, 1 tbsp faih sauce, covered a while then reduced. vegetable has a lot of water so no need to add water.
for the chicken, i cut one large onion & fried till softened & fragrant. no need oil as using the wok for the veg.
added the chicken. if quantity is too much fry in 2 batches.
i managed my ok. high fire, then low & cover to cook the chicken (for small amount like 1/2 chicken no need to cover, charred a bit with bbq flavours nicer) the high fire to reduce. again there is water in the chicken & very tasty already so no need to add water or stock.
the chicken was tender & tasty.
the cabbage & onions very nice too & complemented the chicken.
- 1/2 chicken cut to 4cm bite size (about 500g if deboned)
- 1/2 yellow onion cut
- 300g cabbage (2 cups?)
- 1 tbsp gochujang
- 1 tsp heap chopped garlic
- 1 cm chopped ginger
- cut (or debone) 1/2 chicken, wash with salt water, rinse well in colander, put in fridge overnight.
- season chicken with gochujang, chopped garlic & chopped ginger & set aside for few hrs.
- fry cabbage in garlic & ginger, add oyster sauce & a bit of fish sauce. set aside.
- fry cut onions till softened & fragrant, add chicken & fry high fire then lower.
- add back the cabbage, mix, dish out & serve.