today i experimented quite successfully a vietnamese street food = a chargrilled pork neck with cold beehoon (vermicelli). 🙂
the pork neck was marinated with fish sauce, chilli padi, sugar, paprika, orange marmalade, yuzu salad sauce, chopped shallots/garlic & grated ginger. & i kept it for 48hrs in the chiller.
i followed this video recipe.
i chargrilled the pork neck over 1 tablespoon oil in non-stick pan over high heat. it was really good! so tasty & tender! 🙂
i did not have many items. so i improvised. earlier for the marinade, i did not have honey so i used fruit jam (orange marmalade) & yuzu sauce.
then i did not have tau gay (bean sprouts) so i used kang kong (morning glory) – not ideal!
i did not have mint so just used basil. no peanuts & no spring onions, just skipped.
it was nice. first layered the sliced japanese cucumber & kang kong (for bean sprouts), then add the bee hoon (vermicelli), pickled carrots & radish (sugar, rice vinegar, chilli padi). then add the pork neck, prawns & then the chopped shallots & basil.
drizzle with the fish sauce dip (chicken stock, fish sugar, sugar, rice vinegar, chilli padi)
once more, the chargrilled pork neck was fabulous! 🙂
i served this vietnamese chargrilled pork collar to my friends at 11pax homecooked lunch on 15.10.2014, & everyone just loved it.
that’s the real thing in the video.
i had some experimental miso garoupa. it was ok, not fantastic.
this was fun! 🙂
- 300g pork collar, sliced 5mm across grain
- 150g bee hoon (vermicelli)
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp honey (i used 1 heap tbsp orange marmalade + 1 tsp yuzu salad sauce)
- 1 flat tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp paprika (or coarse black pepper)
- 4 spring onions, white part only
- 2+2 chopped shallots
- 2 chopped garlic
- 1cm grated ginger
- bunch of bean sprouts (i used kang kong)
- sliced japanese cucumber
- pickled radish & carrots
- mint leaves (i used thai basil)
- 1/6 cup crushed peanuts
fish sauce dip
- 1/3 cup (80ml) chicken stock
- 4 tbsp fish sauce (more to taste)
- 1 tsp rice vinegar (more to taste)
- 1 chopped chilli padi
- scald pork neck to remove scum. cut 5mm slices across grain. mixed fish sauce, honey, sugar, pepper, garlic, shallots, ginger to make marinade. season pork neck in marinade, cover with cellophane & refrigerate for 48hrs in chiller.
- put 1 tbsp oil in non-stick pan on high heat. stir fry the pork neck (cooled to room temperature first) over high heat to caramelised the pork. turn to medium & cook for 5 minutes. pork will be charred & very flavourful.
- to serve – first layer the sliced japanese cucumber & bean sprouts, then add the bee hoon (vermicelli), pickled carrots & radish. then add the pork neck, prawns & then the chopped shallots & basil. drizzle with the fish sauce dip.
Pingback: RI VS.O.P. (Very Special Old Pals) 11pax Homecooked Lunch on 15Oct2014 | c.h.e.f
Pingback: Bricklane Market & Street Eats on 17May2015 | c.h.e.f
Pingback: Good Vietnamese Food @ Mrs Pho on 14Jul2015 | c.h.e.f
Pingback: Scrumptious Lunch for 30+pax on 25Jul2015 | c.h.e.f
Pingback: 17 Courses of Delectable Dishes for 16pax Homecooked Dinner on 26Aug2015 | c.h.e.f
Pingback: Nice Vietnamese pho & cold beehoon lunch @ Saigon Baguette on 17Nov2015 | c.h.e.f
Pingback: A 9-course All-Vietnamese New Year Eve Dinner on 31Dec2015 | c.h.e.f