Before I discovered the brining technique (& now use often) for pan-roasted brined chicken breast, I was doing a rather good oven roast chicken. 🙂
It is really easy to do & require very little preparation effort.
First, I cut away the head & feet, wash clean thoroughly & fold in the wings. I usually leave the chicken on a rack to airdry in the fridge but you can dry it with kitchen towels.
Then I prepare a rub comprising seasalt, coarse black pepper and a dry herb mix (rosemary, basil, parsley flake etc). Of course you can use fresh herbs if you have them. Next I rub all over the chicken & the inside cavity. I then lift the skin (carefully w/o tearing) & rub below the skin. I also inserted peeled garlic cloves under the skin. You can skip this if you like a nice skin as the garlic will made dark patches on the skin after roast as in above picture. Finally I rub oyster sauce on the chicken & then drizzle/rub olive oil over the skin (olive oil helps the skin not to get burnt). 🙂
I place the chicken breast-side up on a aluminium foil-lined baking tray in a preheated 175degC oven using the grill function for 25minustes. I then turn over the chicken and grill for another 20minutes.
I have been able to consistently reproduce very moist, tender & sweet roast chicken. 🙂
- 1.1kg chicken from Giant hypermarket (if you sue a 1.4kg chicken or other size you will have to try out the ove timing or I guess use a meat thermometer which I have not yet learned to use!)
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bulb of peeled garlic cloves
make a rub comprising:
- 1.5 tbsp seasalt
- 1 tbsp coarse black pepper
- 2 tsp rosemary flakes
- 2 tsp basil flakes
- 2 tsp parsley flakes
- Prepare the chicken – cut away the head & feet, wash clean thoroughly & fold in the wings. leave the chicken on a rack to airdry in the fridge (or you can dry it with kitchen towels). Apply the rub all over the chicken skin & inside. lift the skin (careful not to tear) and rub under the skin. Insert the peeled garlic cloves under the skin (or you can skip this if you don’t want to have dark patches on the skin).
- Cook the chicken – place the chicken breast-side up on a aluminium foil-lined baking tray in a preheated 175degC oven using the grill function for 25minustes. turn over the chicken and grill for another 20minutes. remove from oven & let the chicken rests, and then debone or carve & serve.
Pingback: Beer Butt Chicken | c.h.e.f