it’s a wonderful dish really!
i managed to do that quite a few times including a homecooked teochew muay lunch for my friends-
my cabbage with tau pok was also a variation of my usual cabbage for teochew muay.
this time it was a lot tastier even, because i reduced the stock more & also the hara fried beancurd puff added a very pleasant, sweet taste.
i had the idea of adding ikan bilis.
it went very well with the cabbage dish actually, but you can’t have too much of it so i just added 1/2 portion of what i made.
so basically, the steps are –
- add cut chilli padi, chopped garlic & fry
- then add the cabbage, oyster sauce, fish sauce (or light soy sauce), and fry for 2 mins to coat the cabbage with the sauce.
- then add stock, cover & reduce, 10mins.
- add hara taupok (cut each taupok square into 4 strips), cook for 20mins. the taupok is a good combination, add texture & more sweetness to the dish.
- reduce is the key, so flavours are more intense, too much water will dilute the taste. make sure cabbage not overcooked & still retain the crunchy bite.
- fry ikan bilis (optional)