made lobster in superior broth 龙虾上汤焗 the second time.
this time it was excellent!
first time was when i made 2pax valentine’s day dinner on 14.2.2017. it was the same lobster, largely the same preparation, but somehow i did not get it right. even though wife said the lobster was good & tasty, basically it was the texture was somewhat overdone & not the best…not meeting my own standard la..
i decided i must give it another try la…
got a 680g live lobster from sheng shiong at S$41+
it’s too large for my basin. 🙂
i decided to poach it this time round.
it’s the same supposedly humane treatment. put lobster in the freezer for one hour so it is like in a “coma” or deep unconsciousness??? then either kill it by putting the knife through the head/brains or put into boiling water.
so i put it in boiling water. for about 3-4mins, just looking at the colour….
this a less messy preparation than cutting through the head w/o poaching (which results in more liquids flowing out.
anyway after removing lobster, it was the same putting the knife through the head & halving the lobster.
then i cracked/removed the pincer shells & cut the lobster tail into 2 pieces.
680g not really a lot of lobster – body 4 pieces + 2 pincer + head….
i was doing claypot chicken rice so had 1/2 chicken bones. i added 1 cut large carrots & boiled for about 3hrs.
i added the lobster shell & boiled another 2 hrs, basically reduced & made a very intense stock/broth. the carrots were very nice after infusing the broth.
when cooking, i just fried ginger, cut chilli padi in butter, then added garlic, last added chopped spring onions with the broth, brought to boil, added in the lobster pieces & covered to braise + steam the lobster. another another 5mins.
i turned the head, lobster tail pieces, pincers to make sure they are cooked & NOT overcooked.
and i was able to produce a very sweet, tasty lobster in superior broth 龙虾上汤焗. so good!
- 650g – 700g live lobster
- 1-2 cut chilli padi
- 2cm ginger cut small wedges
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 2 stalks cut spring onions
- 1tbsp usalted butter
- 1/2 or 1 chicken bones
- 1 large carrot cut
- shells of lobster pincers
- put lobster in freezer for 1 hr. then put it in boiling water. for about 3-4mins, just looking at the colour.
- put the knife through the head & half the lobster. then crack/remove the pincer shells & cut the lobster tail into 2 pieces per half = 4 large pieces.
- meanwhile prepare stock – boil chicken bone & carrot 3hrs. add lobster shell, bol another 2 hrs.
- when cooking, fry ginger, cut chilli padi in butter, then add garlic, last add chopped spring onions with the broth, bringt to boil, add in lobster pieces & cover to braise + steam the lobster. another another 5mins. turn the head, lobstail pieces, pincers to make sure they are cooked & NOT overcooked. VOILA!