i read about mei cai kou rou recipe on internet many times but never got to try it.
my friends gathered at my place to relish hong kong food fun moments on 20.1.2016
though we did not have 梅菜扣肉 in hong kong, i was thinking what dishes to add to the lunch menu.
this my first try at梅菜扣肉 & in any case a good opportunity to get my friends to try it.
it was very well done. ^^
- i bought the sweet mustard leaves, mei cai, 梅菜 from sheng shiong & used the whole packet with about 500g+ of belly pork. the mei cai, 梅菜 need to be soaked & washed many times to remove the sand.
- i placed the belly pork in a 90degC oven for 3 hrs, instead of boiling it in water for 35mins according to the recipe.
- i then seared the skin & sides & added 1/2tbsp dark sauce to coat the belly pork. & sliced the belly pork when cool.
- then i melted 1 tbsp sugar, added 1 tbsp oil & fried the 梅菜 & added 1/2cup chicken stock.
- then i placed the 梅菜 on the sliced belly pork & placed in the steam oven for 75mins.
the 梅菜 was just perfect, texture, colour, taste, everything & the belly pork 扣肉excellent, so tender & tasty!^^
- 500g belly pork
- 1 packet sweet mustard leaves, mei cai, 梅菜
- 1/2 tbsp dark sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- soak & wash sweet mustard leaves, mei cai, 梅菜 many times to remove the sand. cut into small bits.
- scald the belly pork to remove scum. place the belly pork in a 90degC oven for 3 hrs (or boil it in water for 35mins).
- sear the skin & sides & add 1/2tbsp dark sauce to coat the belly pork. slice the belly pork when cool.
- melt 1 tbsp sugar, add 1 tbsp oil & fry the 梅菜. add 1/2cup chicken stock.
- place the 梅菜 on the sliced belly pork & place in the steam oven (or a steamer) for 75mins.