i read about mei cai kou rou recipe on internet many times but never got to try it.
post our 6pax hong kong eat & hike 10-14jan2016,
my friends gathered at my place to relish hong kong food fun moments on 20.1.2016
though we did not have 梅菜扣肉 in hong kong, i was thinking what dishes to add to the lunch menu.
this my first try at梅菜扣肉 & in any case a good opportunity to get my friends to try it.
it was very well done. ^^
i varied a 梅菜扣肉 recipe i read on internet.
- i bought the sweet mustard leaves, mei cai, 梅菜 from sheng shiong & used the whole packet with about 500g+ of belly pork. the mei cai, 梅菜 need to be soaked & washed many times to remove the sand.
- i placed the belly pork in a 90degC oven for 3 hrs, instead of boiling it in water for 35mins according to the recipe.
- i then seared the skin & sides & added 1/2tbsp dark sauce to coat the belly pork. & sliced the belly pork when cool.
- then i melted 1 tbsp sugar, added 1 tbsp oil & fried the 梅菜 & added 1/2cup chicken stock.
- then i placed the 梅菜 on the sliced belly pork & placed in the steam oven for 75mins.
the 梅菜 was just perfect, texture, colour, taste, everything & the belly pork 扣肉excellent, so tender & tasty!^^
- 500g belly pork
- 1 packet sweet mustard leaves, mei cai, 梅菜
- 1/2 tbsp dark sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- soak & wash sweet mustard leaves, mei cai, 梅菜 many times to remove the sand. cut into small bits.
- scald the belly pork to remove scum. place the belly pork in a 90degC oven for 3 hrs (or boil it in water for 35mins).
- sear the skin & sides & add 1/2tbsp dark sauce to coat the belly pork. slice the belly pork when cool.
- melt 1 tbsp sugar, add 1 tbsp oil & fry the 梅菜. add 1/2cup chicken stock.
- place the 梅菜 on the sliced belly pork & place in the steam oven (or a steamer) for 75mins.
Pingback: Very “Song” (Enjoyable) 9pax Claypot Rice+Crabby Lunch on 7Jun2016 | c.h.e.f
Pingback: Decent & Inexpensive Dinner @ Hup Choon Seafood on 20Jun2016 | c.h.e.f