first tried this banoffee (banana toffee) pie for a 11pax homecooked lunch yesterday on 15.10.2014.
even though the guys walloped the whole cake, a few including me felt it was kind of sweet though ok to eat. anyway i made another one today with 1/2 the caramel (from 1/4can of condensed milk) & 50% more bananas, & it was an excellent very well balanced cake.
i saw a video recipe here.
it was something which i thought i could make w/o much difficulty, and it was quite a revelation for me that you could produce toffee (or more correctly caramel) by heating a can of condensed milk in boiling water for 3hrs. 🙂
anyway as shown in the video it was an easy to do recipe-
i heat a can of condensed milk in boiling water (fully covered in water) for 3 hrs. i open the can when cool & emptied the caramel into a container.
then i made the biscuit base using digestive biscuits (7biscuits 105g) & 60g melted butter in a 8in (20cm) spring-form cake tin & placed in the fridge.
then i whipped 200ml whipping cream, and added 1/2 tsp sugar & whipped till stiff peaks.
i cut 3 large bananas into thin slices & added 2tbsp (30ml) lemon juice to keep it from browning (oxidation). then i spreaded 1/4 the caramel over the biscuit base, and arranged the bananas in 2 rows over the caramel. then i topped with the whipped cream & added the dark chocolate shavings.
then placed the cake in the fridge overnight.
overall, the combination of flavours from the biscuit base, thin layer of caramel, more bananas & layer of (mostly) unsweetened whipped cream with chocolate shavings was really quite good.
- can of (carnation) condensed milk (400g) – use 1/4 (100g)
- 7 digestive biscuits (105g)
- 60g melted butter
- 3 large bananas cut into thin slices
- 200ml whipping cream
- dark chocolate shavings
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp sugar to add to whip cream
- heat a can of condensed milk in boiling water (fully covered in water) for 3 hrs. open can when cooled & empty caramel into a container.
- make biscuit base using digestive biscuits & melted butter in a 8in (20cm) spring-form cake tin & place in fridge.
- whip 200ml whipping cream. add 1/2 tsp sugar & whip till stiff peaks.
- cut 3 large bananas into thin slices & add 2tbsp lemon juice to keep it from browning (oxidation).
- spread 1/4 the caramel over the biscuit base, and arrange the bananas in 2 rows over the caramel. then top with the whipped cream & dark chocolate shavings.