did a dakgalbi 닭갈비 fried chicken with gochujang for teban gardens community breakfast this morning on 25.11.2016. ^^
this my 23rd friday breakfast community meal at teban gardens community service centre.
the centre was started in 2002 after much effort & challenge by our RI friend who is a pastor of pasir panjang hill brethren church (pphbc) which owns & runs the CSC.
we had dakgalbi 닭갈비 fried chicken with gochujang at mr dakgalbi in chuncheon 春川after our visit to the awesome autumn colours of nami island 남이선南怡岛.
for chicken, i debone 2 chickens the night before. that took about 35mins.
in the morning i got up at 6.40am & marinated the chicken – 2 heap tbsp gochujang, 4 tsp chopped garlic, 3cm chopped ginger.
then i let it sit about 1 hr.
menawhile i cut 1 cabbage (1kg). fried garlic & ginger till fragrant & added cabbage.
fried a while, added 2 tbsp flat oyster sauce, 1 tbsp faih sauce, covered a while then reduced. vegetable has a lot of water so no need to add water.
for the chicken, i cut one large onion & fried till softened & fragrant. no need oil as using the wok for the veg.
added the chicken. if quantity is too much fry in 2 batches.
i managed my ok. high fire, then low & cover to cook the chicken (for small amount like 1/2 chicken no need to cover, charred a bit with bbq flavours nicer) the high fire to reduce. again there is water in the chicken & very tasty already so no need to add water or stock.
the chicken was tender & tasty.
the cabbage & onions very nice too & complemented the chicken.
- 1/2 chicken cut to 4cm bite size (about 500g if deboned)
- 1/2 yellow onion cut
- 300g cabbage (2 cups?)
- 1 tbsp gochujang
- 1 tsp heap chopped garlic
- 1 cm chopped ginger
- cut (or debone) 1/2 chicken, wash with salt water, rinse well in colander, put in fridge overnight.
- season chicken with gochujang, chopped garlic & chopped ginger & set aside for few hrs.
- fry cabbage in garlic & ginger, add oyster sauce & a bit of fish sauce. set aside.
- fry cut onions till softened & fragrant, add chicken & fry high fire then lower.
- add back the cabbage, mix, dish out & serve.