prawns were done the same, coated with egg yoke and cornflour and shallow-fried for 1 min to golden.
- it was fun for me making the prawns, as i generally hate to do deep-frying – a lot of wastage of oil & additional cooking steps, i just do this shallowfried like <2cm of oil sufficient, in a small diameter pot.
- do in batches, do not crowd the pot. i did like 6 at a time, just couple mins to cook prawns.
the last time (for a 27pax family CNY day2 lunch on 6.2.2019), i used a ready made sauce. it (the sauce) was not that good even though the prawns were done well.
so this time i decided to make my own sauce. this evening i served 15 prawns, so i decided 3 salted egg yokes would be enough, and it was. so fried the salted egg yokes with 3 twigs of curry leaves and 1 cut chilli padi.
the salted egg prawn dish came out quite perfect, with great salted egg flavours and slight powdery texture, just right! 🙂
prawns were good but the the packet sauce didn’t give good enough flavours and texture.
i did at an earlier version (using for the first time a sauce given to me by WM & J).
this time, i shortcut the process by mixing the prawns in a mixing bowl with fish sauce, white pepper, 1 tbsp corn flour, 1 tbsp plain flour, 1 egg yolk & just mix.
this way cut out the inconvenience & messiness of dipping the prawns in cornflour, flour & egg yolk before frying.
it worked well too, as can be seen in above photo! ^^
and then it’s just to fry cut chilli padi + curry leaves in the salted egg mayo sauce mix, then add the prawns to coat.
was quite excited doing salted egg prawns, my first attempt at this dish in 2014. photo looked ok but that was to me, considered a failure.
prawns were deep-fried. paste was done using salted duck egg york, curry leaves & milk. prawns were very fresh but less crispy as it was done at 4pm like 4hrs before serving & set aside with paste added on in pan before serving. too much milk, paste not viscous enough & salted egg flavour was too dilute. will improve next time. 🙂
in summary –
- i prefer to make the sauce myself (4 salted egg yokes sufficient for 20 large prawns).
- use shallow fry in a small diameter pot to save oil
- can coat with cornflour, egg yoke when preparing or just mix all together.
- quite ok w/o milk, if adding milk make sure sauce is not diluted but have consistent texture and viscoity not too dilute