teban gardens PPHCSC (pasir panjang hill community service centre) organised a cooking sharing session on 9.1.2019. ^^.
17 residents attended today.
the centre was started in 2002 after much effort & challenge by our RI friend who is a pastor of pasir panjang hill brethren church (pphbc) which owns & runs the CSC.
i cooked a breakfast dish for teban gardens every friday unless i am travelling or otherwise unavailable. i did my 78th friday breakfast community meal dish at teban gardens community service centre on 28.12.2018.
this my 4th cooking sharing session. the first 3 were –
today i demo 2 dishes=
- prawn tofu; &
- teochew braised belly pork..
as before, i tried to demo dishes which they can do easily at home.
also, i planned the dishes such that the cooking could be completed and they could try the food within 1/2hr and not wait too long.
so the dishes were prepared first & heat up or putting on the finishing touches there while i explained the preparation & steps..
first the braised belly pork, recipe at the bottom.
the braise recipe is my own, and i think it reproduces the very good teochew braises i had in hong kong.
important points to note are (!) texture (2) flavour – the braise must be “pang”
the technique of braising involved small amounts of thick braise (so do not add too much water for the first 1/2hr of braising) initially to infuse the flavours to the meat, while steaming the meat (coved wokpan) so it is moist and tender.
cutting and presentation is the other important consideration. if the braise is to be eaten immediately, texture need not be too soft so 2hrs is about right, and cut the belly pork and serve right away.
if meat is to be served hrs later or next day, over braise it (between 2hrs and 2.5hrs), and placed in ziploc bag when cook and put in fridge or chiller. then it is easy to cut neatly. can warm up the braise and drizzle over the meat.
today the texture and braise flavours were very good, quite perfect.
next tofu prawns, recipe at bottom.
i used vacuum pack tofu, those that indicate they are for frying.
for today 17pax i used 2 packs so 600g.
fried them with little oil in non stick pan, and drained oil on kitchen towels.
prepared the broth. fried chopped garlic, spring onions and cut chilli padi, added intense chicken stock, 1 tbsp oyster sauce and reduced. added 1 egg, let it formed then “draw” out a bit..
added the fried tofu to infuse.
prepared the prawns (15pieces). seasoned in fish sauce and white pepper.
and the dish was ready for final preparations and serving.
so when serving, added the prawns, covered the pot and boiled the stock. used chopsticks to stir, turn the prawns and immerse in the broth to cook it thoroughly. like anything else prawns need to be fully cook but not overcook.
the dish was very tasty and the flavours/aroma was wafting in the room, prawns texture was perfect too.
teban gardens prepared some healthy mixed brown rice and everyone was served a portion of the belly pork and tofu prawns with the rice.
the residents were very active in Q&A throughout the session. hopefully they can cook the dish for their family and enjoy the food together. 🙂
teochew braised belly pork
<braising sauce for 600g belly pork
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp shaoxing wine
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
<fry till fragrant-
- 3 star anise
- 1 cinnamon bark
- 2 clove
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bulb garlic cloves
- 2cm cut ginger
- 1/2 medium red onion
- braise for between 2 and 2.5hrs. check texture poke with chopsticks, if go through easily, cleanly then pork is ready.
- for the 1st 1/2hr add just 1/2 – 1 cup water, topping up & turning the belly pork that is to keep the marinade thick & intense to infuse the flavours.
- after that add water & let belly pork braise & slowly reduce to a thicker sauce, adding water as required.
- cut 300g tofu for frying into 12 rectangular pieces
- fry with little oil on nonstick pan..add some sea salt..
- brown the tofu on the sides
- Set aside on kitchen towels to drain oil
- fry chopped spring onions cut chiili padi chopped garlic in 1tbsp oil
- off fire & add intense chicken stock..add 1tbsp oyster sauce 1 tbsp cornflour and reduce over medium fire..taste the very tasty stock
- when serving add tofu, bring to boil & cracked 1 egg let it form then use chopstick to “draw” spread the egg..
- add 12 shelled deveined prawns, cover to cook the prawns..
- add 3cm cut scallions to garnish