they asked and i agreed to do another cooking sharing session today on 10.10.2018. today 20 attended ( plus 2 staff in the photo). 🙂
today i demo 2 dishes=
- 腊味沙煲饭 sausage claypot rice; and
- 黄焖鸡 chinese wine chicken.
as before, i tried to demo dishes which they can do easily at home.
also, i planned the dishes such that the cooking could be completed and they could try the food within 1/2hr and not wait too long.
so i put the claypot rice on high fire to boil the water for few minutes then on low fire to cook for about 30mins. & during the time i explained the process for the claypot rice, then started the live demo on the chinese wine chicken.
the chinese wine chicken required to be marinated 2hrs before cooking, so teban gardens had my recipe circulated to the attendees.
i brought the marinated chicken to teban gardens, together with the condiments required for the cooking demo = cut ginger, chilli padi, chopped garlic, 1tbsp olive oil for frying, 2 tbsp huadiaojiu 花雕酒, and some coriander to garnish the dish.
chinese wine chicken
so i added the ginger, chilli padi to the oil, added chopped garlic later, then added the chicken, fried for 5 mins to cook. added a little water and reduced as the chicken cooked.
before plating the chicken, i added the huadiaojiu 花雕酒 on high fire so the aroma came out.
likewise the sausage claypot required 30mins just for cooking (for 2 cups+ of rice), so i fried the rice etc & basically started by putting the claypot rice to cook for 1/2 hr while i shared the recipe and the process with the residents. 🙂
so you fry cut ginger in veg oil or chicken fat, then off fire & add the salted fish and chopped garlic, then add the rice (and sliced mushrooms if available) and fry in high heat for 1 mins. then add 2 cups of chicken stock. i add the sausage whole.
when cooking put high fire first to boil the liquids then low fire to cook the rice.
when the sausage is cooked, take them out, cut & put back.
the centre director Ros did such a great job.
the claypot rice looked so nicely presented.
the residents loved both dishes. claypot rice was very flavourful and the chicken was tasty, sweet & tender.
腊味煲仔饭 sausage claypot rice
- 2cups rice
- 2cups chicken stock
- 1-2 slice salted fish (remove bone if required)
- 3 tsp chopped garlic
- 1cm cut ginger
- 2 tbsp veg oil or chicken fat
- 5 chinese mushrooms (optional)
- 2-3 pork sausage
- 2-3 liver sausage
- fry cut ginger in 2tbsp veg oil or chicken fat in claypot
- off fire and add 1-2 slice salted fish & 3 tsp chopped garlic
- earlier soften 5 chinese mushrooms in boiling water then cut slices
- wash 2 cups thai rice add to claypot & add sliced mushrooms (optional). fry high fire.
- off fire. add 2cups chicken stock
- wash clean thoroughly & dry pork & liver sausages. place on top of rice
- cook about 30mins, high fire to boil then low fire to simmer to cook
- take out sausages, cut slices, add back to rice, stir rice thoroughly to reduce burnt bottom, add coriander to garnish
黄焖鸡 wine chicken
- 1 deboned chicken OR 4 boneless frozen legs (thigh+drumstick)
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 flat tbsp cornflour
- 2 flat tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 tbsp huadiao jiu 花雕酒
- chopped spring onions + 2 inch cuts white party
- 2cm cut ginger
- 3 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 cut chilli padi
- 6-8 taupok each cut into 4 strips
- debone 1 (or 1/2 chicken) or use 4 boneless frozen legs (thigh+drumstick) and cut 1.5in bitesize pieces
- season cut chicken with 2tbsp each of fish sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, huadiaojiu, cornflour for 2hrs
- fry cut ginger, chilli padi in a bit (1tbsp) oil, add chopped garlic & spring onions, then add chicken pieces. fry thoroughly for few minutes,
- add 2 cups chicken stock & reduce about 5-6mins. add 2in spring onions
- if cooking taupok (optional), remove chicken from pot so not to overcook, add taupok & boil for 1/2hr until soft & infused with flavout. add water as required then add back the chicken.
- before serving add 2tbsp huadiaojiu