did my best char siew today on 8aug2017.
i not very motivated on char siew & siew yoke as i tried them before & though they were ok, but not really fantastic & can always get good char siew & siew yoke outside (or get friends to make it haha!)
we had the best char siew at meng meng roast duck 阿明帝皇鸭. the char siew was superb & literally glistening with charred fat!! ooooh, my favourite la!
& next week i am cooking for 12pax friends, modelling some of the dishes in JB and sutera.
so i thought i have another go at char siew.
- made my own marinade from what i have-1 tsp each of brown sugar, honey, char siew sauce, hoi sin sauce, oysters sauce, five-spice powder, ginger sauce (i lazy just used chopped ginger), soy sauce, fermented beancurd (fu yu), 1/2 tsp salt.
- then prepare 250g belly pork, removed skin, washed with salt & scalded to remove scum; and marinate for 6hrs in fridge (overnight should be ok too)
- then placed on rack, 25mins in 250degC oven…did a bit of basting..
result was quite wonderful – texture, taste (marinade & well infused) & fat charring all excellent…glistening…
not sure if i can reproduce this for larger pieces…will try it on 600g piece for 12pax dinner next week la, and see how. ^^
- 250g belly pork, removed skin, washed with salt & scalded to remove scum
marinade (1 tsp each except salt)
- brown sugar
- light soy sauce
- char siew sauce
- hoi sin sauce
- oysters sauce
- five-spice powder
- ginger sauce (i lazy just used chopped ginger)
- fermented beancurd (fu yu)
- AND 1/2 tsp salt.
- combine to make marinade
- marinade belly pork for 6hrs in fridge (or overnight)
- then placed on rack, 25mins in 250degC oven…baste it a bit…