one quite unique dish we had during our recent really fun 4pax OPS primary school buddies hong kong eat & hike trip 20-24.2.2017 was hand tear chicken手撕鸡.
手撕鸡 had tear chicken @ minsheng daipaidong 民声冰室 was very impressive. chicken was sweet, tender yet not soft & had good bite, a bit stringy yet not sinewy or chewy. very good i think.
i googled the recipe & made a 手撕鸡 hand tear chicken myself at home after my return. it was not bad as a first attempt. i had the texture but not yet the taste, my marinade needed some improvements/adjustments.
i repeated it for a 8pax OPS friends dinner on 7.3.2017.
this time the marinade was good, & my friends all liked it. 🙂
my preparation/recipe is similar to that for poached chicken 白斩鸡.
i used 1/2 chicken. made chicken stock using bones of 1 chicken & 1 cut large carrot. added 1 bulb garlic cloves, 1 medium red onions quartered, few stalks of spring onions, 2cm cut ginger. boiled chicken (immersed) for 12 mins, off fire & poached for 25mins.
then quenched in ice water to stop cooking.
& put in the fridge to dry.
for this hand tear chicken手撕鸡, i feel that the dry should be more taut & dry & stringy, so i left it in the fridge for longer, about 5hrs.
i pan-roasted 3tbsp sesame seeds.
then separated the skin, cut/tear in rectangular pieces, & tore the chicken flesh in strips.
& then mixed in first the condiments, then the roasted sesame seeds.
for the condiments – i used 2tsp fish sauce, 1tbsp light soy sauce, 1tsp oyster sauce, 2tsp sesame oil, 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce, 1 tbsp goma sauce.
then covered with the skin & added some more roasted sesame
and 当当 voila, the hand tear chicken手撕鸡.
the flesh is moist & tender & nicely/lightly flavoured with the concdiments & roasted sesame, quite flavourful.
for me, it was an interesting dish, a change certainly, may not be my most favoured style for chicken preparation,
- 1/2 chicken
- 1litre chicken stock (using bones of 1 chicken & 1 cut large carrot)
- 1 bulb garlic cloves
- 1 medium red onions quartered
- few stalks of spring onions
- 2cm cut ginger
for condiments mix-
- 2tsp fish sauce
- 1tbsp light soy sauce
- 1tsp oyster sauce
- 2tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp goma sauce.
- make 1 litre chicken stock using bones of 1 chicken & 1 cut large carrot.
- add 1 bulb garlic cloves, red onions, spring onions, cut ginger to 1litre chicken stock in a deep ducth oven & bring to boil
- cover & boil chicken for 12 mins, off fire & poach for another 25mins
- quench in ice water to stop cooking
- put in the fridge to dry for 5hrs
- separate the skin, cut/tear in rectangular pieces, & tear the chicken flesh in strips
- mix in first the condiments, then the roasted sesame seeds.
- plate the dish, cover with skin, & add some roasted sesame