the taste was like lingering, most endearing, i decided to give it a try myself & did one myself on 11.12.2015.
i set my sight on uncle leong’s crab beehoon soup. it is of course just an aim, not an expectation.
happily as it turned out, my first crab beehoon soup was really quite good.
both my daughter (who already had dinner) & my wife loved the dish. broth was very tasty ( i feel not as intense as uncle leong’s but both wife & daughter said they were quite happy as it was).
the crab was very sweet & firm.
i went to sheng shiong & bought 2 crabs at S$29.95/kg for S$30.55, so each crab was about 500g.
but daughter was eating out, so there were only wife & i for dinner. i decided to kill & put one crab in a ziploc bag & put in the freezer.
the other crab was full of life so i kept it in water with some ice till about 5pm, then put in the freezer for 1/2hr, then kill & clean the crab, break the pincers & cut into pieces.
the recipe was a lot simpler than i thought –
- broth was actually quite easy to prepare. i fried 10 sliced ginger & 1 cut chilli padi in 2tbsp butter (30ml) in a claypot, then added 3cups stock (i used chicken veg stock).
- (i added some chinese cabbage & boiled for 1/2hr, then added 1tbsp shaoxing wine 绍兴酒, 1tbsp fish sauce (to taste) & 1cup evaporated milk.
when ready to serve, i added 1/2 packet of thick beehoon & the crab into the claypot, and boiled for about 8 to 10mins.
it was a very enjoyable dish & so easy to prepare.
it’s a small crab, 500g c/w 1kg at uncle leong’s. crab meat was firm & very sweet today. overall a truly excellent dish.
- 500g crab, cleaned and cut into pieces
- 1/2 packet thick beehoon
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 10 slices peeled ginger
- 3 cups chicken vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tbsp rice wine
- 1 tbsp fish sauce (to taste)
- white pepper
- chinese cabbage or baby bok choy
- 2 stalk cut scallion & some coriander for garnishing
- put crab in the freezer for 1/2hr, kill & clean the crab, break the pincers & cut into pieces.
- fry 10 slice ginger & 1 cut chilli padi in 2tbsp butter (30ml) in a claypot
- add 3cups stock (i used chicken veg stock)
- add some chinese cabbage & boiled for 1/2hr. then add 1tbsp shaoxing wine 绍兴酒, 1tbsp fish sauce (to taste) & 1cup evaporated milk.
- add 1/2 packet of thick beehoon & the crab, boil for about 8 to 10mins. garnish & serve.