did a very good chashu yesterday on 19.12.2015. ^^
for the marinade, i used 1 tsp flat sugar, 2 tbsp light soy sauce, 2 tbsp mirin, 2 tbsp sake, 1 chilli padi, 1/2 red onions cut into 4, 2 tsp chopped garlic.
texture was perfect! very tender & retaining some bite. 🙂
the tender braising at lower temperature did the trick, & the gelatine released made the pork very flavourful.
to make it easier to cut, i still left it in the fridge overnight.
the belly pork cut quite prefectly. i put it back to the oven at 40degC to warm up for 1/2hr & longer..
looked good & tasted great.
quite ideal for japanese ramen, or a chashu don (on sushi rice).
it’s an easy dish to prepare. i am planning to do this together with miso belly pork for a larger group later, maybe start of 2016. shall see. 🙂
- 300g belly pork (this a small serving, my small oven dish can easily take 600g)
- 1 tsp flat sugar
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp sake
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 chilli padi
- 1/2 red onions (or 2-3 shallots)
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic
- scald belly pork with boiling water to remove scum & cleaned with running water
- mixed sugar, mirin, sake, light soy sauce, chilli padi, red onions (or shallots) * chopped garlic in a large bowl
- place belly pork on the side in the small oven dish & add marinade. should come up to between 1/2 & 2/3
- place in 90degC over for 6 hrs. turn over pork at 3hrs.
- leave in fridge overnight. cut into slices & warm up 1/2hr- in a 40degC oven.