first time i make beef rendang on 19.3.2020.^^
was inspired by E’s mom, L. they invited us for peranakan home dinner 2 weeks back. 🙂
It was excellent!..
the fragrance when you lift the lid like any excellent rendang in a good restaurant..quite super la!
my first time! should be able go reproduce..
I bought 500g frozen beef cubes (chuck) from sheng shiong & i used happy family cheap rendang paste (2 for S$3.50)
- 500g beef cubes (i cut each into 4 smaller cubes)
- 1 packet happy family rendang sauce paste (200g)
- 1 packet coconut milk 200g
- 1 medium yellow onions
- 3tbsp kerisik (desiccated coconut)
- fry 3tbsp kerisik till brown not burnt. remove.
- cut beef into smaller cubes & blanched with boiling water, clean & drain dry
- fry onions & chopped garlic, then add rendang paste & fry, then add beef cubes
- fry beef cubes, then add little water. continue to fry for 15mins..add water and simmer another 1hr 30mins.
- add coconut milk and reduce 15mins to almost no liquids..(beef very tender & internal very moist..)..some oil will be rendered out of the coconut milk giving a beautiful typical orange red tinge..add back the toasted kerisik…rendang will smell fantastic!!!