did my first braised oxtail today.
saw a few online recipe, decided to just mix & experiment a bit myself.
pretty good actually, very tasty, tender, savoury..& veg were wonderful…
hers different, had quite a bit more tomatoes, overall taste experience still better than mine.
so i just bought 3 large oxtail pieces from cold storage, 800g for S$20, promo price like S$26.90/kg.
washed with salt, then coat with 1/2 tsp salt, black pepper, 1 tbsp corn flour.
fried in olive oil to brown/colour, then removed from pan.
added olive oil to pan & fried chopped shallots, sliced ginger, chilli padi. then onions, garlic, then added carrot, celery, & spices. then added wine, water, mirin, sugar
then added back oxtail & placed in caserole in 180degC over 2hrs
can boil to reduce if too much liquid, & add cornflour to thicken if required (i didn’t)
oxtail was very tasty. so was the veg & gravy.
however i think my slow braised spanish beef ribs still better. thinking of doing this dish for a dinner on 29.11.2016, but maybe i will decide on the beef ribs instead. not sure yet.
- 800g oxtail
- 1 large carrot
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 large cut tomatoes
- 1/2 large onion
- 2 chopped shallots
- 3 chopped garlic
- 2cm slice ginger
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cup water
- 1 cut chilli padi
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 tsp dry rosemary
- 3 tsp dry parsley
- 1 tsp dry red chilli powder
- 1-2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tsp black pepper
- wash with salt, coat with 1/2 tsp salt, black pepper, 1 tbsp corn flour.
- fry in olive oil to brown/colour, then remove from pan.
- add olive oil to pan & fry chopped shallots, sliced ginger, chilli padi. then onions, garlic, then add carrot, celery, & spices. add wine, water, mirin, sugar
- then add back oxtail & placed in caserole in 180degC over 2hrs