one of the dishes was 潮州卤元蹄teochew braised hock and trotters.
also made same dish braised trotters for
CNY day 2 family lunch for my brother, sil, niece & hubby, & nephew, and my sis & bil on 13.2.2021.^^
hock and trotters were delicious, perfect gelatinous texture, with very tasty, flavourful braise.
everyone love the dish.
for this I made my own braise (see recipe below), and braise the trotters for 1hr 45mins.
this time I did w/o the aromatics like star anise, cinnamon etc, so just sauces.
very good indeed!
- 1 whole hock plus trotters chop through 1/2 in the middle and into 6 small pieces. (blanched in boiling water and cleaned)
- 3tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 5tbsp shaoxing wine
- 1 whole bulb garlic, cut cloves in 1/2
- fry garlic cloves in 1 tbsp oil.
- add hock and trotters…fry and turn, medium high heat…
- add light soy sauce, shaoxing wine, oyster sauce, fish sauce, then sugar
- add 50ml water…cover and fire to low or medium..turn and coat, add water as required.. about 30mins..this to infuse the sauce flavours to the hock & trotters.
- then add 1l water, cover and keep simmering for another 1 hr 15mins…check doneness by texture and poking chopstick through cleanly.