i have not cooked manila clams for a while.
this morning i was at sheng shiong & decided to buy about 700g manila clams. the price was i think S$10.90/kg, some discounts from the usual S$13.90/kg. it was still double the price of chinatown wet market, which is about S$6/kg.
so this evenin gi made wok fried manila clams on 19.4.2017. ^^
today my wife & daughters all said it was very good, the best i made so far.
and indeed it was quite superb. i think better than most zi char. the photos do tell.
the texture was perfect. clams were very fresh & sweet, cooked just right. & the sauce was also perfect.
i cleaned the clams quite thoroughly, first leaving in clean water with ice to chill.
it does get dirty after several hours, so when i was about to cook the clams, i took out the clams & poured away the water then washed the clams couple times, removing the clams to a colander & pouring away the water.
the last bit i washed the clams with salt, and unfailingly the clams looked very fresh & clean & sparkling.
i left it in the strainer/colander, set aside while i cut chilli padi, ginger, red onion, fresh orange peel.
i put about 1 tbsp (15g) butter in the pan, added chilli padi, ginger, red onion, 1.5 stalks of curry leaves, orange peel, fried till fragrant, then added 1 tbsp chopped garlic.
then i added the clams, 1 tbsp oyster sauce, turn fire to high, and cover to cook the clams.
the clams opened up quite quickly as the wokpan steamed up, and then it was ready to serve. the whole process was like maybe 3mins. voila!
& the clams was as wonderfully tasting as it was glorious to look at. ^^
- 700g live manila clams
- 1tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 -2 cut chilli padi
- 1 whole sliced medium red onions.
- sliced orange peel from 1/4 orange
- 1.5 stalks curry leaves (about 30 leaves)
- 3cm sliced ginger
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter (15g)
- clean thoroughly = leave in clean water with ice to chill. when about to cook clams, remove clams clams to colander, pour away water, wash clams well couple times. repeat. last bit, wash clams with salt. unfailingly the clams will look very fresh & clean & sparkling.
- set aside. cut chilli padi, ginger, red onion, fresh orange peel.
- add 1 tbsp (15g) butter in wokpan. add chilli padi, ginger, red onion, 1.5 stalks of curry leaves, orange peel. fry till fragrant. add chopped garlic.
- then add clams, oyster sauce, turn fire to high, and cover to cook clams.
- the clams will open up quite quickly as the wokpan steams up, and then it is ready to serve. the whole process like maybe 3mins. voila!