seems to be doing many “my first” these couple days. ^^
reason is we are doing a RI friends eat-together at a friend’s house & maybe the theme is kampung spirit. it requires a bit of logistic planning eg packing food in aluminium serving dishes or tupperware etc, and hence the type of food best suited to be served to say 20pax and ferried by car with minimum transfers/heating up etc before serving.
hence i was testing out 2 other dishes these 2 days for the first time –
recently we had a gathering at another friend’s house & someone brought a bread pudding. that is a convenient party dish, no need to cut, just scoop out so easy to serve. 🙂
i decided to try out a bread pudding.
i looked at online recipes. i found a good recipe = best bread pudding with vanilla sauce at allrecipes & decided to follow it.
turned out that it is one of the easiest (maybe the easiest) dessert to do. 🙂
i cracked 3 eggs into a mixing bowl, added 3 cups milk, 60ml melted butter, 1 flat tbsp white sugar, 2 flat tbsp brown sugar, 1 tsp vanilla essence, & 1 flat tsp cinnamon; and whisked.
(my sugar totalled only 3 tbsp whereas the allrecipes had 1.5cups white sugar & 2 tbsp brown sugar – that’s like 8x the sugar i added)
i then cut 7 pieces of stale bread diagonally into 4 pieces each, and added & combined with the liquids. added some macadamia nuts & dried cherry tomatoes.
i pulled a cling firm over the mixing bowl & leave it for 1/2hr for the bread to absorb the liquids.
the i greased the bottom & sides of an oven dish (don’t have spray), and emptied the bread pudding mixture into the oven dish. 🙂
i had the oven preheated to 180degC, and placed the oven dish for 50mins. it’s ready when a tooth pick of fork comes out cleanly after inserting into the pudding.
must say the result was quite wonderful.
although after it cooled the pudding sank & shrank, but taste wise it was quite perfect especially when served with vanilla ice cream, which my daughter bought & brought home.
it is really a very convenient party dessert, can serve many people, very easy to make & to transport. 🙂
- 7 slices stale bread
- some nuts & raisins (i used what i have available which are macadamia nuts & a dried cherry tomatoes).
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 60ml butter
- 2 tbsp flat brown sugar
- 1 tbsp flat white sugar
- 1 tsp flat cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- whisk in a mixing bowl 3 eggs, 3 cups milk, 60ml melted butter, 1 flat tbsp white sugar, 2 flat tbsp brown sugar, 1 tsp vanilla essence, & 1 flat tsp cinnamon.
- cut 7 pieces of stale bread diagonally into 4 pieces each. add & combine with the liquids.
- add some macadamia nuts & dried cherry tomatoes.
- pulled a cling firm over the mixing bowl & leave it for 1/2hr for the bread to absorb the liquids.
- grease the bottom & sides of an oven dish and transfer the bread pudding mixture into the oven dish.
- bake for 50mins in a preheated 180degC oven.
- serve with ice cream (i did not prepare the sauce this time)