first time i am cooking chicken rendang on 22.11.2015. ^^
actually first time i cooking any rendang.
like the babi pongteh i did yesterday, i am thinking to do this for a RI eat-together at a friend’s house on 3.12.2015. 🙂
i initially thought of doing my nonya curry chicken.
a friend is now doing the curry chicken, so i thought either to skip the chicken, OR to do a different style – a dry chicken rendang. 🙂
i looked at some online recipes. the one i like best is by nonya cooking.
i mostly followed that with some minor variations.
i went to sheng shiong to get some ingredients like lemon grass, galangal & dessicated coconut.
i added about 30g dessicated coconut and fried under medium to low fire.
until golden brown=kerisik.
set aside the kerisik.
i blended 12 dry chilli (soaked in hot water & seeded), 4cm galangal, 3cm ginger, 7 shallots, 3garlic cloves, and 3 stalks lemon grass (white part).
then i fried in 3 tbsp oil till the rempah is fragrant.
i had earlier deboned 1.4kg chicken. i kept the 2 drum sticks for future use, and the legs & bones for soup.
i added the cut chicken breast meat & 2 wings & fried with the rempah to coat the chicken.
i did for about 10mins.
then i added 200ml coconut milk.
added the kerisik and cooked for another 20mins, adding salt & tasting. & tried the chicken that it was cooked & not overcooked.
then i added some cut kaffir lime leaves.
then reduced to a drier, very fragrant chicken rendang dish.
i did the final taste & added 1 tbsp fish sauce.
overall, it was really quite an excellent dish.
it was intended for dinner to be eaten with rice. daughter & later wife came back & we finished more than 1/2 without any rice.
looks like we are going out for dimsum dinner instead.
daughter & wife thought the lemon grass could be reduced. otherwise quite perfect.
i did have a superb S$5 chicken rendang rice at kopi roti central with mei mei & my good dentist friend on 19.9.2015.
i think that one still better than mine la…just S$5!
- 800g cut chicken
- 30g dessicated coconut
- 1 heap tsp salt
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
for rempah paste –
- 12 red chilli seeded (i used 12 quite old dry chilli so colour not red enuf!)
- 3cm ginger
- 4cm galangal
- 2 stalks lemon grass (white part) – (i used 3 will reduce next time)
- 7 shallots
- 3 clove garlic
- fry 30g dessicated coconut and fried under medium to low fire to lightly golden brown (kerisik). set aside.
- blend 12 red chilli (or dry chilli soaked in hot water & seeded), 4cm galangal, 3cm ginger, 7 shallots, 3garlic cloves, and 2 stalks lemon grass (white part) for rempah paste.
- fry in 3 tbsp oil till the rempah is fragrant.
- add cut chicken breast meat & 2 wings & fry with the rempah to coat the chicken. fry for 10mins.
- add 200ml coconut milk. add the kerisik and cooked for another 20mins (add some water & cover), adding salt & tasting. try chicken, to see that it is cooked & not overcooked.
- add some cut kaffir lime leaves. then reduce to a drier, very fragrant chicken rendang dish.