teban gardens PPHCSC (pasir panjang hill community service centre) organised a cooking sharing session on 3.4.2019. ^^.
this my 6th cooking demo and sharing… 🙂
20 residents attended today.
i shared 2 dishes-
- char siew &
- claypot tanhoon prawns
char siew i had to cook at home first. and i brought along, and cut it when we were serving.
teban gardens just got thei new oven delivered 2 days ago. i have not tried it here so better to do it the usual way at home.
char siew was very tasty and tender, as Rosalind said, she could feel it when i was cutting.
i walked through the steps. the recipe was earlier provided to the residents.
for claypot tanhoon prawns, i prepared the stick at home and put together/cooked the dish on the spot. 🙂
tanhoon had just the right texture, moist and flavourful, likewise the prawns.
for tanhoon, i demo on the spot, put the prawns followed by tanhoon into the boiling stock, mixed well, covered, mixed a bit again, and as the stock reduced, the flavours were infused intot eh tanhoon which remained moist and very flavourful.
so both char siew and claypot tanhoon prawns turned out beautifully, quite the usual. 🙂
so the char siew recipe as follows-
1 poach, clean, dry 500g belly pork
2 cut in 1/2 to make 2 slender slices 2cm thick (i have thick 500g+ slab)
3 marinade with 1tsp each of LKK char siew sauce, hoi sin sauce, oyster sauce, light soy sauce, brown sugar, honey, 1tbsp of red fermented beancurd and chopped garlic, 1/3 tsp salt overnight in fridge
4 place on rack, drizzle 1tsp honey and place in 250degC oven for 16mins. leave char siew in oven for 4 more mins.
and the recipe for claypot tanhoon prawns as below-
- 500g deveined large prawns with shell
- 100g sliced belly pork (optional)
- 150g tanhoon (3 bundles)
- 4 stalks coriander
- 2 cm cut ginger pieces
- 1 bulb peeled garlic cloves
- 30g haebee
- 2tsp ground black pepper
- 300ml cup chicken stock
- can use prawn stock also or mix
- prepare prawn stock – fry prawn heads & shell in butter (or oil) till fragrant. add salt, a bit of oil, water & boil for 2-3hrs.
- prepare chicken stock – i debone 1 chicken & boil the chicken bones with cut carrots for 3hrs – very intense stock
- fry garlic cloves, haebee, sliced belly pork in oil. add cut ginger, black pepper. fry till fragrant.
- add 2 stalks coriander.
- add chicken stock and reduced further to anout 200ml
- marinate prawns with 2tsp fish sauce & white pepper.
- put tanhoon in water to soften.
- when ready to cook, boil stock. add prawn, stir to immerse prawns in stock, add tanhoon, toss, turn fire to medium & cover the claypot for few minutes. toss again. voila!
the residents had many enthusiastic questions. it was a great sharing and learning experience for all. 🙂