ate alone at home last evening on 8.4.2017.
didn’t want carbs, so decided to steam a small angkorli (sea bream) fish head.
I wanted to do something different, so thought of the nonya steamed shark’s cartilage preparation at Zai Shun 载顺.
I did not have the recipe or know how Zai Shun 载顺 makes their nonya sauce, but I do have a good bottle of gimson nonya sauce.
I used my usual steam fish recipe 2tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp mirin. and instead of 2 tsp light soy sauce, I added 1 tbsp gimson nonya sauce & reduced to 1 tbsp light soy sauce. & that was all.
I added chopped garlic. next time I would add also cut chilli padi & some scallions.
I estimated fish head about 500g, but to be sure I steamed for 11mins.
preparation was easy. all looked good, so just 11mins in the steam oven. 🙂
& the result was very good, not too salty, good nonya sauce flavour, not overpowering, fish was fresh & sweet. steaming was ok too, not overdone.
not quite the same wonderful taste & effect as Zai Shun 载顺’s steamed sharks cartilage, but a good enough preparation I can used to make a nice steamed fish/dish for my family & friends.
- small angkorli (seabream) fish head – 500g
- 1 tbsp gimson nonya sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 cut chilli padi
- 2 stalks chopped scallions
- wash with salt, clean & dry fish head. add the condiments – 2tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp mirin, 1tbsp light soy sauce, 1 tbsp gimson nonya sauce.
- add chopped garlic, . next time I would add also cut chilli padi & chopped scallions (white parts..green parts cut 2cm length & add after steaming).
- steam for 11mins.