made a mock kurobuta pork ribs on 24.7.2016. ^^
excellent texture & taste. pumpkin puree wonderful too. 🙂
i called my own concoction mock kurobuta becos i am using ordinary 500g prime ribs, the frozen ribs from sheng shiong.
& though i used frozen prime ribs, i think flavour & texture wise almost approximate the kurobuta ribs at foc, so it was in fact very good ribs. 🙂
in order to create the tender yet firm not old texture, i fine braised (slow low temperature braising) the ribs in a 95degC oven for 5hrs.
this turns collagen (tough connective tissues) to gelatine & flavours the meat, also it dissolves the fat & flavours the meat.
key considerations in any cooking are texture & taste.
this though was western flavour, so i needed to experiment a new marinade.
- for marinade, i added 2 tbsp red wine, 1 tbsp yuzu jelly, 2 tbsp light soy sauce, 1 tbsp mustard, 2 tsp chopped garlic, 2 stalks chopped scallions.
- then i stir-fried 2 star anise, 2 bay leaves in a wok. then i added 1/2 sliced onions & caramelise, & added the marinade. then added coriander & off fire.
- then pan-charred/browned the ribs in some butter
- & placed in sealed oven dish i 95degC oven for 5hrs.
the flavour & colour were quite excellent straight from the oven.
but i wanted to char it a bit further. the blackened part were the marinade. while that did not affect the dish much it did not look as nice. so for next round if i decide to char it more i would wipe clean & dry the marinade.
- 500g prime ribs (i used frozen prime ribs from sheng shiong)
- 2 tbsp red wine
- 1 tbsp (flat) yuzu jelly
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 2 stalks chopped scallions
- 2 star anise
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 yellow onions
- 2 stalks coriander
- scald pork in boiling water, clean & drain
- use a little butter – fry & charred pork ribs both sides. remove & put in oven dish
- for marinade, mix 2 tbsp red wine, 1 tbsp yuzu jelly, 2 tbsp light soy sauce, 1 tbsp mustard, 2 tsp chopped garlic, 2 stalks chopped scallions. fry star anise & bay leaves. fry 1/2 yellow onions to caramelise. add marinade. then add coriander & off fire.
- add marinade over pork ribs in oven dish & spoon over the ribs. seal oven dish & place in 95degC oven for 5hrs.
- remove. wipe clean the ribs & sear/char ribs over high fire. serve with or w/o drained sauce.