i decided on prawns to experiment the new dish.
did not want to waste expensive crabs until i get the dish right!
i did the dish twice.
flavour was good. tanhoon was slightly overcooked.
that was near perfect la!
so flavourful & tasty the tanhoon, prawns good, can be improved though!
see recipe & directions below. 🙂
- 500g deveined medium prawns with shell
- 100g sliced belly pork (optional)
- 150g tanhoon (3 bundles)
- 4 stalks coriander
- 1 chopped chilli padi
- 2 cm cut ginger pieces
- 1 bulb peeled garlic cloves
- 1.5 – 2tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup prawn stock
- 1 cup chicken stock
Directions (for stock):
- prepare prawn stock – fry prawn heads & shell in butter (or oil) till fragrant. add salt, a bit of oil, water & boil for 2-3hrs.
- prepare chicken stock – i debone 1 chicken & boil the chicken bones with cut carrots for 6hrs – very intense stock
- soften & brown garlic cloves in oil. add chilli padi, cut ginger, black pepper. fry till fragrant.
- add sliced belly pork. add 2 stalks coriander.
- add prawn stock & chicken stock & reduce by 1/3
- marinate prawns with 2tsp fish sauce & white pepper. add prawns & cook in stock. remove prawns.
- put tanhoon in water to soften. when ready to cook, boil stock. add tanhoon, toss, turn fire to lowest & cover the claypot for few minutes. toss again. add cooked prawns, cover briefly. voila!