quite useful to have a group of friends who are confident & relax to try your first time food.
crab is troublesome stuff, to eat, to buy (how to get live crabs same day as cooking lunch for 9pax?), and to prepare – kill, crack pincers etc.
lately (last one year) i have cooked lobster (some live) on a number of occasions & learned the “mercy killing” method, basically deep freeze!
i bought the fresh crabs (2 crabs 1.1kg @ S$31/kg) from chinatown market the day before & put in freezer.
on the day i was cooking i washed & cleaned crab thoroughly (easier to clean w/o a hole by chopsticks or knife in the crab), then opened crab & cracked pincers. very meaty, & no less fresh for freezing!
my chilli crab sauce was pretty ok except it was a bit sweet, no reference to calibrate i guess.
reduce the sweetness, it should be a pretty good standard crab. for me i also like it to be a bit spicier.
the recipe & directions (with adjustments) below.
- 1 crab (800g)
chilli crab sauce:
- 6 chopped shallots
- 3 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 in chopped ginger
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp garlic chilli sauce
- 2 chilli padi
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp flat sugar
- 1 tbsp shaoxing wine
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 2 cup prawn stock
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander
- 3 cups prawn stock
- prepare prawn stock – fry prawn heads & shell in butter (or oil) till fragrant. add salt, a bit of oil, water & boil for 2-3hrs.
- prepare the chilli crab sauce –
- mix the ketchup, chilli sauce, oyster sauce, shaoxing wine, vinegar. lime juice in a large bowl.
- finely chopped the shallots, ginger, garlic and chilli padi (or pulse till finely chopped in a food processor).
- add oil to a large wok over medium heat. and fry the chopped shallots, ginger, garlic & chilli padi for few minutes.
- stir in the prepared mix from the large bowl, reduce heat and simmer of 3 or 4 minutes.
- add the prawn stock, bring to boil, turn off the fire and set aside to use when required.
- prepare crab-
- put in freezer for at least 1 hr.
- wash & clean crab thoroughly (easier to clean w/o a hole by chopsticks or knife in the crab), then open crab & crack pincers. set aside.
- when cooking, heat the sauce to boiling, add the crab, spoon some sauce over the crab, cover & simmer for 5 mins. crack an egg & stir in the sauce. serve & garnish with coriander.