was making a few “newer” dishes for my friends to try out at a 9pax homecooked lunch yesterday on 9.3.2015.
my family & i are not so crazy about crabs & i don’t buy & cook crabs (i may try later).
the idea here is to use prawns stock to deliver the shellfish broth taste w/o using crabs. since i was also trying about my crab beehoon (or “crabless” beehoon) on my friends & making the prawn head & shell stock, so i might as well do this chilli crab dish as well. i decided to use some leftover angel hair. it fit the dish quite perfectly.
my friends all loved the dish. one commented this was actually the more creative dish.
another friend said-
Yes, I like this dish. The angel hair pasta is well infused with the tasty seafood broth.
another even more effusive, exuberant comment went-
Seldom have I eaten so much! Still digesting and trying to figure out the mysteriously delicious spicy angel hair sphagetti with hint of exotic eastern spices that awoken my palate
not sure if we were talking about the same dish though? hahaha!^^
indeed i think it was a lot better than the one i did 2 years back (if i can even remember!). but this time i had more sauce, and i used angel hair which infused more of the chilli “crab” taste. haha!^^
well, only just because it is so-called “fusion” dish, but so many places in singapore (restaurants & cafes) now do this dish, it is nothing special.
the main thing was the sauce, which i repeated from the recipe i did on 7.3.2013 (below). only thing i added 6 chopped shallots (instead of 4), 3 ketchup (instead of 4) & 2 chilli padi (instead of 1), & i ran out of shaoxing wine so i added 1 tbsp xo brandy.
- 6 chopped shallots
- 3 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 in chopped ginger
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp garlic chilli sauce
- 2 chilli padi
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp flat sugar
- 1 tbsp shaoxing wine
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsplime juice
- 2 cup prawn stock
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander
- Prepare the prawn shell stock – fry & boil prawn shells & heads in a large dutch oven for 3 hrs, strain and set aside the stock
- Prepare the chilli crab sauce –
- mix the ketchup, chilli sauce, oyster sauce, shaoxing wine, vinegar. lime juice in a large bowl.
- finely chopped the shallots, ginger, garlic and chilli padi (or pulse till finely chopped in a food processor).
- add oil to a large wok over medium heat. and fry the chopped shallots, ginger, garlic & chilli padi for few minutes.
- stir in the prepared mix from the large bowl, reduce heat and simmer of 3 or 4 minutes.
- add the prawn shell stock, bring to boil, turn off the fire and set aside to use when required. before use, beat 1 egg and stir in & mix well.
- Prepare the spaghetti– add some salt & oil to water and boil the spaghetti according to timing instructions & drain in a colander.
- Cook – empty the prepared olive oil & browned garlic into a hot wok. pour the chilli crab sauce into the wok. heat briefly then turn off the fire, add in the spaghetti & toss & add sea salt to taste. Place the spaghetti in a serving dish and garnish with fresh coriander.