wife’s relatives coming for dinner this evening, and we were preparing for a 20pax dinner including grand nephews & grand niece, on CNY Day2 on 29.1.2017. ^^
one of the dishes i prepared was braised oxtail.
today i did a larger serving for 20pax, and the oxtail came up beautifully (see top photo).
i had 2 packets of oxtail from phoon huat delicatessen = 1.75kg.
i adjusted accordingly-
- rub with salt & washed & clean thoroughly & dry with kitchen towels
- coat 1tsp salt, 2 tsp black pepper, 1.5 tbsp cornflour.
- brown oxtail with 1 tbsp olive oil on high heat, set aside
- fry chopped shallots, sliced ginger, then sliced onions, chopped garlic, then carrots & celery.
- add back oxtail,add dry rosemary, parsley, chilli flakes. add 1cup red wine, 2 cups water, 1/4cup mirin, 1 tbsp sugar, 1tsp salt (to taste).
- place oxtail in large casserole & placed in 180degC oven for 4.5 hrs.
so this recipe was really very simple & straight forward to execute.
i checked the oxtail & turned the pieces using a spoon at different intervals=2.5 hrs, 3.5hrs etc & texture was perfect at 4.5hrs.
the liquids were reduced nicely, so i got a nice thicker, very tasty gravy & the oxtail were excellent in taste & texture, very tender & still having good bite, & the tendons near the bones were gelatinous & flavourful.
- 1.75kg oxtail
- 2 large carrot
- 6 stalks celery
- 1 large cut tomatoes (i didn’t have so didn’t add this time)
- 1 large onion
- 3 chopped shallots
- 5 chopped garlic
- 3cm sliced ginger
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cup water
- 3 tsp dry rosemary
- 3 tsp dry parsley
- 1 tsp dry red chilli flakes
- 1tbsp sugar
- 1tsp salt (to taste)
- 1/4cup mirin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 tbsp corn flour
- 2 tsp black pepper
- wash with salt, coat with 1 tsp salt, 1tsp black pepper, 1.5 tbsp corn flour.
- fry in olive oil to brown/colour, then remove from pan.
- add olive oil to pan & fry chopped shallots, sliced ginger. then onions, garlic, then add carrot, celery, & spices.
- add back oxtail, add dry rosemary, parsley, chilli flakes. add wine, water, mirin, sugar. place in casserole in 180degC over 4.5hrs. check & turn around oxtail pieces at intervals=2.5hrs. 3.5hrs.