made my first strawberry cheese cake last evening on 8.12.2014. 🙂
a word about relish’s deconstructed strawberry cheese cake (in above photo) –
the biscuit base had a feel of caramel, very nice. the strawberries were caramelised. the cheesecake was delicious & there was a dollop of cream on top, the peak of decadence…
i looked through quite many online recipes. could not take to any of them, so decided to experiment my own concoction recipe.
i was aiming to experiment the right taste & texture first then later deconstruct them & put them together when serving. 🙂
i used the same 8in spring-form for my tofu cheesecake. i decided to use the same 7 digestive (105g) & 60g unsalted butter for biscuit base. this time i added 2 tablespoon of caramel (leftover from banoffee cake preparation). so i melted/softened the butter & caramel & added the digestive crumbs & mixed thoroughly. i also added 1 teaspoon of finely minced ginger.
i then pressed the “wet sand’ mixture into the spring-form lined with parchment paper. then placed it in the fridge.
i did not bake the biscuit base. the biscuit flavours came out quite well. the texture was a bit softer than my usual biscuit base…my daughter was very apt in the description – she said the biscuit base held together i.e. was solid but texture was like “lao hong” & not crunchy.
so maybe i will try baking the base next time, and then break into small pieces for deconstructed cake. ^^
i blended 200g cream cheese & 200g chopped strawberries in the blender & added 2 tablespoon brown sugar. then i added 2 eggs. i emptied the custard mix into the cake tin & baked it in a preheated 180degC oven for 30mins (same as for my pumpkin cheese cake). the set aside to cool down.
i did not have sour cream so i used whipping cream (with 1teaspoon brown sugar) & whisked to soft peaks. this can be added separately for the deconstructed version.
then into the fridge overnight.
i caramelised some fresh strawberries with 1 tablespoon brown sugar on a pan. when cool, added to garnish the cake.
i like the cake. can be improved of course! ^^
maybe i need to fold in some whipped cream to this custard mix.
having a family dinner on christmas eve, so will experiment a deconstructed version. ^^
- 7 digestive biscuit (105g)
- 60g melted butter
- cream cheese -200g
- fresh strawberries about 200g (cut small pieces)
- 2 tbsp flat + 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 250ml sour cream
- 2 eggs
- biscuit base – make the usual biscuit base with 7 digestive biscuit (105g) crushed to sandy texture in a ziploc bag, then add to 60g melted butter & 2 tbsp caramel & 1 tsp ground ginger and mixed thoroughly. press the “wet sand’ mixture in a 8″ (20cm) spring-form cake tin lined with parchment paper. then place it in the fridge.
- cut in small pieces 200g fresh strawberries. add 200g cream cheese & 2 tbsp flat brown sugar & blend in blender. add 1 egg at a time, & blend. then whisk 250g sour cream to soft peaks & add 1 tsp brown sugar.
- bake the cake – pour the cake mixture into the cake tin & baked in 180degC preheated oven for 30mins until cake is firm (when a toothpick inserted comes out cleanly) while centre just a little jiggly. leave to cool. add the whipped sour cream & bake for a further 10mins. let it cool & then place in the fridge overnight.
- caramelise 6 large strawberries cut in 1/2 with 1 tbsp brown sugar in pan. when cool, place on top of cake to garnish.